Skip to main content

Lets go seed collecting


This is a post on how something that interested me so much got passed down to my son naturally.

Nature always interested me although staying in Bangalore for a couple of years made it evoke.  I started noticing various fruit trees in my locality like coconut, papaya, jackfruit, pomegranate, fig and banana. It was surprising to me how food was grown in some households. The beauty of various seasons was much prominent in HSR Layout, making me exploring more about other trees and searching them on google.

Few months ago I was much frustrated by my son's rag picking all day. He would stop at various intervals on our way to pick up things like tobacco wrappers or used plastic bottles from the roadside. While in the park he would keep searching for chips packets or used lollipop sticks. I was worried about his health and overall his habit.

I would explain him with logic and multiple repetition, yet no gain. I myself was frustrated with so many NOs to him. I thought there need to be a YES way that favors both. This is when I started saying, "You can only pick nature". It was a great self taught journey from there.
  • He learnt to understand differentiation between wooden, plastic and metals things.
  • He knows what are the parts of the plants.
  • He has started understanding seasonal changes.
  • He loves exploring the colors and textures and tries to identify flora
  • His interest on insects and birds and their habitats is developing
There are so many learnings on the way that will open up in coming years due to a simple nature walks.

Nature walk collection


Cooper and pine trees are a local to us so their seedpods are always playing in his hands. He loves creating music with the seedpods. He uses the wild almond tree leaves as hand fans in his imaginary plays. His all time favorite prop for his plays are bamboo sticks. Even few stems that can be bend easily are used to create alphabets. Often he would show me, "Look mumma, P... And this is number 4 in Gujarati."

Cassia or the Golden Shower tree seed pod
Kapok Silk Cotton Pod

How difficult it is to break the cassia pod!! How wonderfully the seeds are stacked in compartments!!
We collected all the dry Kapok pod, removed the cotton and used in making a doll for my son. The cotton is so soft and light weight that it is a great alternative to stuff pillows. Will write a full post on the process.

Sweet Tamarind, Star Gooseberry and Aamli
don't they look like water lily? 
We purchased some sour Berries and Tamarind from a local vendor which are found only in Fall. My son was surprised that these seed pods are edible. Enjoy their flesh and then make them pawns in your board games.

Some seed pods are  that are floatin on water was his imagination of boating in a lake
We had collected mahogany tree seed pods found in Bangalore and used them as boats in our nature art.
Mahogany tree seed pod used in nature art

the one on the left is mine and the right one is my sons creation

I would encourage him to make some art on table out of his collection then. Each and everything that is collected by him goes to the coffee table and some imagination is brought to life with a story.

I believed Mother Nature has the power to heal, teach and uplift. During my journey as a homeschooling mother, Nature has helped me in co-teaching my child. I came across this book called "Lets go seed collecting" by Pratham Publication. Its was an absolute hit. My son and his group schooling friends were left with an impact. I have read this book so many times with my child, yet he never gets tired. He is already a part of the character in the book... so its inseparable.

Nature is vast and so is the knowledge it can pass. All I want to give my child is freedom to explore; he is sure to make those discoveries that will help him grow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pawna lakeside camping (Day 1)

Homeschool experience for our kid led us to understand the importance of small meaningful trips in the wild. We had been staying in a tent that had attached bathroom in the midst of a dessert during our Rajasthan trip but this one was such a raw experience. We were done with our morning routine and headed to lonavala at around 11. Listening to old songs that i love chorusing along, we reached Kailash Parbat for a lunch hault. H enjoyed homemade puranpoli that his granny made. At Kailash Parbat The weather was cold enough and H was happy to find a baby next table to play with. From here our journey was full of rough roads and yet we enjoyed looking at the scenes it had to offer. Farmer with his bullocks A farmer was ploughing his land which caught baby H's eyes. He realized we have reached another side of the world already. The tropical flowers and shrubs that H kept visiting were part of his love for colors. Pawna Lake, Thakursai Pretty Purple Flowers Ye

I Salute The Mother In You

I have been traveling through BEST bus since a month now. Observing passengers especially ladies. I prefer the reserved seat for ladies. I usually get to sit immediately there.  A lady in burkha sat beside me with her 7months boy. I started. Me: "Does he have teeth yet?" She was very welcoming and showed me his tiny milky teeth. He was cute, enjoying that he was travelling. Me: "Is he your first child?" She said, “No its my third, I have other two girls. I just dropped them to school and am returning from there.” It is a personal opinion on how many kids a couple wants to have but what amazes me is how a mother takes care of as many kids she has with all the love and attention. Today while at the bus stop for boarding my ride i meet a lady. She lost her husband at much early age and had two kids to take care. she started her career at 30 and didn’t look back. Its cool how she manages her home and work together with kids. No personal life! I salute th

Kshamapna: Forgiveness

The 8days Jain festival called "Paryushan" has a very thoughtful message to give. It inspires you to forgive and forget the past grievances. "Michhami Dukkadam" is what you tell everyone, not only humans but every single soul in the universe. It is a prakrit phrase meaning 'to be forgiven' or 'may all evil that has been done be forgiven'. Why do we forgive some one? 1. Because he can be harmful 2. Because you owe him 3. Because of some religious reason like God says we must forgive and forget 4. Because that is what you call as dignity There can be many reasons. Be it. But the calmness you feel after forgiving wholeheartedly is inexpressible. Like we bath daily... our soul should also be cleaned at-least on a yearly basis! As humans we tend to have some or the other feel of grievances, hatred, enmity, jealousy etc towards others. Slowly & gradually this ill feelings give rise to feelings of revenge which ultimately is a destructive